Saturday, March 26, 2016

3/29/16; Unit 2 Reflection


Reflection
            While it may not be on the front covers of every newspaper, the NASA budget debate is still a hot topic in today’s politics. Over the past few years, the unveiling of NASA’s new space project, the “Space Launch System,” which is being developed and constructed with the hopes of carrying man to the moon, and eventually Mars, has renewed some hope into the previously desolate government agency, but the fight is far from over. NASA only receives a small fraction of the money received by other government sectors, and with a budget that comes out to be only .5% of the federal budget, the awe-inspiring new project has had trouble getting started because of financial restrictions. If NASA is going to remain a central part of Americas identity, as it has come to be over the years, we can no longer sit idly by and slowly let the life drain out of the once proud agency.

              When formulating my approach to this essay I wanted to directly speak towards the very people that have the power to do something about the budget: united states politicians and lawmakers. I also came to realize, however, that this “issue” is has a much larger scope than just politicians. I think in many ways, the American public has come to be misinformed and misguided about NASA over the years for a variety of reasons, and if NASA is going to make a run at a return to prominence, it is the general public of America that is going to put it there, not the few people who work in Washington or Albany. For this reason, I tried in my essay not only to push my opinion onto others, but I also tried to educate all readers, whoever they may be, about NASA and America’s current role in the space frontier in general. In another way, since the focus of our class is the broad subject of technology, I also wanted to tie all my research and opinions back into something that anybody can relate to: the technology that takes a part in each and every one of our lives. In addition to influencing my readers into believing in the mindset that something needs to be done about the current budget of NASA, I also wanted to show them that there are larger and more important sides to evolving technology than the smartphones and tablets that consume our lives.

              Initially, I wasn’t sure if the topic I chose was going to be a good one because I didn’t really know how much the general public really cared about space exploration these days, but to my surprise, the internet, and everyone I talked to, had a ton to say on the subject. In the first activity of the unit, where we were supposed to ask people questions about a topic, I was somewhat surprised by how opinionated most people were on the subject. Most everyone I asked had strong feelings either one way or the other on whether more taxpayer dollars should be devoted to NASA, and even those who weren’t extremely knowledgeable on the details of the argument still had reasons why they felt one way above the other. I also found that, in general, people were more interested in the whole topic of space and space exploration than I would have thought. Likewise, the internet was also somewhat ablaze with opinions and useful facts on the subject. No matter what obscure question I typed into the google search bar, there were dozens of quality responses there to help me strengthen my argument. Even though I didn’t directly include them into my argument, I was extremely impressed that highly acclaimed scientists in the industry, like Bill Nye and Neil Degrasse Tyson, have actively fought for the same principles I pushed for in my own essay. If any more research is to be done, I think the argument could only be strengthened by finding out exactly what a raise in budget of 10%, 20%, etc. would mean for NASA and the quality of product they would be able to put out.
              In regards to my original pitch, I remain in waiting for a response from representative John Katco, who I sent my pitch to, however, this isn’t completely unexpected. In my particular case, I think a better reflection of my original pitch is the responses and interest I received from the people I questioned. The fact that the questions I asked and the subject I brought up stirred a lot of opinions in people shows that people do still have at least some level of interest in Americas Space program. What I am pushing for isn’t something that is going to happen overnight, and NASA will probably never return to the level of prominence they one once had, nor should they. All I can do is continue to shed light on the true facts behind what NASA means to America, and who knows, maybe one day I will live to see men on planets I never thought possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment