Saturday, March 5, 2016

3/8/2016; Adventures at the Library

Library Gem: Adweek Magazine, Super Bowl 50 Edition





Reflection- Like the most kids who have spent the majority of their lives living in the twenty-first century, my experience is understandably limited with the library. Growing up, I can recall my grandma sometimes taking me there, but it always seemed like more of a punishment than a treat. Today, I do love to read, and I actually do a fair amount of it when I get the chance to, but with so many medium outlets, I think our very notion of a library is changing. Walking through the library today, it seemed like all the books I passed were dust covered and old as dirt, but that doesn’t mean nobody reads anymore. In our current age, I think the majority of people are more familiar with their music or Netflix libraries than the ones you can physically go to. I don’t think libraries as a concept will ever go away, but with so many different ways to access books, movies, magazines, newspapers, etc. today, physical libraries of yester-year are quickly becoming obsolete. Back in my hometown, there is a library, and quite a nice library at that, yet I’m not sure I could say I checked a single book out of there within the last half-dozen years. Half a century ago I can see how a library may have served as a center of insight and curiosity, but today, all the information we could ever dream of is sitting at the tips of my fingers. Libraries are cool and all, but why would I walk all the way there when I can just pull up the majority of the books there from the comfort of where I’m currently sitting?

No comments:

Post a Comment